- 4 days
- Year round
- Private service with a English-speaking guide
Four-day trek around San Pedro de Atacama. Camping in tents.
Day 1: SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA – SAN BARTOLO
ATransfer to Catarpe valley where our trek begins. We follow the San Bartolo River until its source. We can find petroglyphs there. Then we continue our trek to reach an altitude of 8,900 feet where we set up our camp.
First night under the starry sky of San Pedro de Atacama Desert, after an easy walking day. Sleeping in tents. Meals included.
Route: 1h - Climb: 3h30
Day 2: SAN BARTOLO – RIO GRANDE
Today, after one day of acclimation, we start gaining altitude. Once again we follow the bed of a river where we find rare rocky formations and giant cactus.We keep on walking until 11,800 feet of altitude to reach the small village of Rio Grande where we set up our second camp.
Sleeping in tents.
Day 3: RIO GRANDE – MACHUCA
After breakfast, we head to a zone irrigated by small rivers that make fertile valleys. We continue to gain altitude to go over 13,000 feet. The town of Machuga offers a spectacular view of the Licancabur volcano. We set up there our third camp.
Sleeping in tents.
Day 4: MACHUCA – GEYSERS DEL TATIO – SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
This morning, we leave at dawn and reach 13,800 feet quickly to visit the Geysers of El-Tatio. This incredible region has an impressive vapor activity in early hours. We have breakfast there. This is a good opportunity to take our warm clothes off and put our swimsuit on to have a bath there.
Retun to San Pedro at noon. Night at the hotel. Meals not included.
Route: 2h30 - Climb: 1h
Optional: At nightfall, we follow an astronomer to a semi-professional astronomical observatory in San Pedro for a discovering session of the Austral sky, the clearest sky in the world. After 2 hours of observation, we finish by listening to the explanations of our guide while drinking a hot drink, before going back to the village.
Note: Excursion open to others participants (15 people maximum in total). Impossible during harvest moon.
- Mentioned transportations (except for the domestic flights)
- Transfers airport/hotel/bus terminal in private vehicle with a Spanish-speaking driver
- 2/3-star hotel in double room, breakfast included (there is no guarantee of having a breakfast if departure from hotel occurs before 6am)
- Camping during the trek
- English-speaking mountain guide certified AGMP and WFR (Wilderness First Responder)
- Guide assistant according to the number of participants
- Guide’ expenses (transportation, hotel, meals)
- First aid equipment and contact radio
- Collective trekking equipment (tents, catering)
- Meals mentioned as “included”: 3 lunches and 3 dinners
- Note: some meals can be served on board during flight trips – to be confirmed at the moment of flight booking.
- Individual equipment
- Mandatory travel insurance
- Aforementioned free meals
- Entrance to cultural and natural sites mentioned in the description - International and domestic roundtrip tickets.
General sales conditionsJust to remind !
In Chile that is common and important to give tips for guided visits, in restaurants and when people help you. Generally speaking tips in restaurants represent a 10% of the bill. For your luggage, give 200 or 300 Chilean pesos per piece. For guides, do as your opinion!
Prepare for your trip
In case of emergency
In case of major problem during your stay (delay, strike or traffic accident), an “emergency” cellular number is at your disposal to join a member of our team:00 56 9 626 743 57 (from a cellular) or 09 626 743 57 (from a landline phone in Chile).
General sales conditions
Your trip will be confirmed once you deposit 30% of total amount on our account. The balance must be paid 30 days before you arrive.
Important- As a security measure, we ask each traveler to bring photocopies of passport and individual insurance (mandatory, to hand over to us upon arrival).
- Terra Patagonia Chile reserves the right to modify the programme owing to climatic or social disturbances in the country or if one of the participants experiences health problems during the trip.